Thomas Jefferson High School is one of the oldest of the ten high schools in the San Antonio ISD. Construction of the school was completed in 1932, and the structure has been added to since then. By 1938, it had a cafeteria, an armory, a drill ground, two gymnasiums and a theater. A three-story east wing was added in the 1960’s.
As part of a more recent restoration of the school, designated a Texas historic landmark in 1983, Andreola Terrazzo & Restoration provided 20,000 square feet of poured terrazzo flooring.
The work involved floating the concrete substrate with bedding material to restore the correct elevation between two separately-built structures. The next step was to marry the two elevations to enable one epoxy terrazzo homogeneous pour.
The result is a pleasing mixture of classic and contemporary design work that is durable and sustainable.
The work was completed for Bartlett Cocke General Contractors, San Antonio Division.